Friday 15 July 2011

Staying up to date vs information overload!

Thing 4 for cpd23 is current awareness. How do we stay up to date without being overloaded! Well guess what technology is there to help us and for Thing 4 we were looking at Twitter, RRS Reeds and Pushnote!

I am already on Twitter and I use it for professional current awareness and networking with other information professionals, so that was a good start. I first set up Twitter for my colleagues to follow me at the 5th joint CoFHE & UC&R conference in Exeter and I found it surprisingly useful at the conference as you could keep up with the other workshops and connect with other professionals during sessions. It was a bit odd though tapping away on my phone and I didn't want the facilitators to think I wasn't paying attention! I love how twitter keeps you up to date but now I am following lots of people it has started to get a bit overwhelming especially if I don't check it regularly enough! I have set up a couple of lists to make it easier (e.g. for work colleagues) but I think I might need a couple more or I may have to start unfollowing some people to stay sane...

If you want to follow me you can find me at Hannah Bennett you can also follow my fellow Library Gossip Girl Rachel Sleeman

RSS feeds are not something I had previously utilised very much. I have set up feeds on databases for specific searches that are sent to my email and I encourage students to do this regularly. But my email fills up really quickly! I also set up a couple in my favourites at work but due to how the network is set up they kept disappearing. I really like the idea of Google Reader though and this should make things a lot easier. I have signed up to a couple of feeds so we will see how it goes...

Pushnote... well I haven't had much of a chance to look at this as we use internet explorer but I would definitely consider using this in the future.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment